Procrastination. Such a scary or even ugly word at times. But we all do it. Why? There are so many reasons why people procrastinate. However, let’s figure out how to get rid of procrastination for good! Let’s focus on some healthy habits to become more productive.
Disclaimer: Some of my posts may contain Affiliate links, which means I may receive compensation for writing a review or sharing a product (at no extra cost to you), however all opinions in this blog are my own. This helps keep my blog running and I appreciate your support. For a full explanation of my website disclaimers click here.
How procrastination wastes time and how you can overcome it
I remember times I’ve checked my to do list or maybe a big project I need to complete and thought “I’ll start it tomorrow”. Then tomorrow comes and I’m too busy, so maybe another day, or maybe next week. “Oh I have plenty of time” We’ve all been there. Then as our deadline approaches we’re scrambling to get everything done last-minute.
So many people procrastinate but why? Maybe a big task seems overwhelming, or the little tasks seem so easy that you just know you’ll get it done later. Whatever the reason we all do it and it’s a habit that causes more trouble than good.
When you constantly put things off, eventually tasks pile up and the time you could have taken to complete even the smallest of tasks, it wasted.
There are things you can do to fix this. Most of us have heard these tips before. But I challenge you: Take some action TODAY and get rid of procrastination for good!
In my opinion, the biggest issue has to do with our mindset. We must train our minds to tackle even the biggest of challenges in order to successfully reach our goals and make our deadlines. (Need to set some goals? Check out my goal planner worksheet.)
So let’s start out with some baby steps and start practicing these 7 tips listed below.Don't procrastinate! Read this post today. Click To Tweet
Tips to become better at time management and leave procrastination behind you
- Get short tasks done now. If it only takes a few minutes do it NOW! A few minutes can add up later when it’s crunch time.
- Break up larger projects into smaller tasks and deadlines. A big project can seem like a lot when you look at the whole picture. But break it into smaller more manageable chunks and you’ve got this. Think about one you can do today.
- Create a personal growth mindset to keep you motivated. This is where it counts if you want to change. By constantly reading and learning and growing and keeping yourself motivated, you will allow the momentum to grow and get things done. I’m currently reading the book: Get Over Your Damn Self: The No-BS Blueprint to Building a Life-Changing Business
- Get an accountability partner. Tell someone what you are going to do and when you’re going to do it. Some may be afraid to do this. And that’s exactly why you should do this: because you know you’re going to be held accountable to complete whatever it is you set out to do. Get a partner and try it and see how much more productive you are.
- Keep a well-organized schedule/calendar. Paper or electronic, chalk board or white board, whatever makes you happy pick something and make a calendar and stick to it. You can also allow extra time in between appointments and tasks to accommodate some flexibility in your schedule, because life does happen and you need to adjust things.
- Minimize distractions and interruptions. Turn off your notifications, set aside a quiet time, keep your desk area organized so you can be more productive. You can tell people when you are available so you don’t get constantly interrupted.
- Reward yourself for your accomplishments. Yes work hard, play hard is what I say. You MUST reward yourself in some positive way even if it’s just something simple in order to keep that momentum of productivity going and avoid falling back into a routine of procrastination.
There’s so many other things I could suggest here, however keeping things simple is the way to go. Start here and then build upon what you can do. In what ways do you get rid of procrastination? Comment below.
Like this post? Share it on your favorite social media! Sign up for my email list and never miss a post!