Your mental health is something that tends to be neglected. However, it is yet another important part of becoming fit for life. With the goal of becoming a whole person, your mental health can play a huge role in being healthy.
Self-care & your mental health: Why it is so important
In keeping up with the recent theme of your health and self-care, I wanted to talk about how mental health is a part of your overall wellness. You hear people say “I’m losing my mind, I just can’t wrap my mind around this or I need some peace of mind.” And this is true! Yes, we need to take time to stop and relax our mind and de-stress in order to stay balanced.
In addition to the above, we need to understand that our brain needs exercise, and we need to make sure to include activities that boost our brainpower, which can be very beneficial. Have you challenged yourself lately? Tried something new? Or maybe learned a new skill or jumped out of your comfort zone and did something different? These are all good things to do to keep our brain active.
On the other hand, we need to dedicate time for a “mental time out” for our mind and learn to relax so we don’t overwork our brain. Have you ever thought to yourself “My mind is constantly racing?” It may be a sign you need a time out. Read on for some ways you can relax your mind.Exercise for the mind is just as important as exercise for the body. Click To Tweet
Ways you can take care of your mental health
- Learn something new. Challenge your mind to think outside the box. Your brain is a muscle, exercise it!
- Read. Reading is always good for you and it can serve both as something to exercise your mind and calm you down depending on what you choose to read.
- Meditate. This is great for mental health. So try to clear your mind of all the clutter and focus on something that makes you happy and gives you peace. This can be an indoor or outdoor activity.
- Drink tea. I love tea. There are so many flavors to choose from and teas such as lavender or chamomile or mint can relax you and help you wind down at the end of the day.
- Exercise. When I exercise I can feel the stress melt right off of me. It provides good blood flow and oxygen to your brain.
- Eat healthy. What you put into your body can have a huge impact on your mood and your overall health.
- Go for a walk. A good walk to clear the mind is a wonderful way to cure the day’s stressors and a very healthy way to do it.
- Enjoy elements of nature: plants, animals, water, sun, etc.
- Tap into your spirituality (whatever it is that you believe, use your faith to bring you peace of mind)
- Reach out to your support system. Talk to a friend or family member you are close to. Sometimes just a good talk can help you feel better or even solve a problem.
- Encourage yourself. There are also times you need to learn to encourage yourself. Be your own cheerleader and tell yourself something positive. No matter what others say to you, what you tell yourself subconsciously takes priority in your mind. So talk nice to yourself!
- Do something nice for someone else. It can be someone you know or a complete stranger. Giving back and helping someone in need can always make you feel good.
Like this post? Check out some of my other posts:
- 10 Reasons why walking is good for your health
- Your summer smoothie guide: My 5 Favorite healthy smoothies
- Improve your sleep by doing these 10 things now
How do you take care of your mental health? Comment below!